Tuesday 17 September 2013

3rd Learning Reflection


3rd Learning Reflection

Since the last few days I have been spending much of my time doing assignment on copyrights and creative commons rights .First of all I must say during my career I have always used the traditional method -supporting my learning through blogs are new to me but a   nice learning experience  . .

Stephen talk on the importance of OER in teaching and learning which according to him Open Licensing does save time and money for educators and will encourages sharing and promoting innovation.  This message was also reinforced by Desmond Tutu who advised that freedom to learn requires unrestricted access to free open educational resources. His  video was very inspiring .

David refers OER to the 4R's -Reuse ,Remix ,Revise and Redistribute. Thanks to OER anyone can create something that may be  helpful to others.  Though we have free access to materials, we still  have some restrictions laid  by our institutions.  However, according to me ,reusing someone else materials should not be called "theft" as long as one is giving credit to the creator.  There should have no barriers and limit in education.  While borrowing others information on the net one should be very careful.

The E-activities was very challenging. I spent a lot of time making researches before attempting the questions. However, the activities was very fruitful to me .  I have learnt how important it is especially for when we  borrow images on the net we should properly acknowledge.  I have learnt a lot from the resources available and while doing activities. After reading resources available I was still confused but the activities help to clear all doubts especially the one on  photograph and film.

 “Creativity always builds on the past. And you are building the past right now. Share now. Shape the  future.” Justin Cone, 2004.This video reflects on sharing education and introduction of creative common. licences.  Sharing  help to move forward it forward.

According to Lawrence lessig's talk on the move from "all Rights Reserved" to "Some Rights Reserved".Sharing can be done without forgetting  to give the required credit to the creator.

Richard Stallman talk on the The Four Freedoms of free software which  resembles the  four R's of Openness- the move of OER and the free software ( not freeware).

According to Chris Betcher - creators of teaching materials should make use of CC BY-SA.I completely agree with him that very often we make use of materials on the web ignoring copyright rules.

Chris Betcher prefer the use of  CC BY-SA licence for his teaching materials. Ahrash Bissell on the other side argues that for the sake of simplicity OERs should all aim to be CC BY.

 I admit I have   learnt a lot on open educational resources (OER), copyright, and Creative.. I  am very happy to form part Open content licensing for educators.  Thanks for giving  us such opportunities which will help us a lot in our career.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment