Thursday 5 September 2013

Is teaching a vocation or profession?

a)Is teaching a vocation or profession. Why?

According to the Oxford dictionary, "profession" is a paid occupation that involves prolonged training and a formal qualification while "vocation" is a strong feeling of suitability for a particular career or occupation, especially regarded as worthy and requiring dedication.In a generic sense, vocation refers to any career choice.

Teaching is not only a profession but also considered as a vocation. None of them could become effective and efficient teachers if they will only work for the sake of the degree that they have earned in college or just for the sake of the salary they get from their employers. The responsibility assumed by a teaching vocation is directed toward students or to whoever is conceived to present a call to teach.

Teaching is technically a profession where it normally involves occupation and the salary that is being awarded to a teacher after hard days of work. However, unlike any other profession, it requires dedication and service in order for an individual to be considered as a real teacher. That’s the reason why teaching should not just be treated as a simple profession but also a serious vocation where other people and service is over self and salary.

One may think that teaching should not be considered as a profession because not enough training is given to those who go into it . However according to me this is not true as we in Mauritius we have to undergo several types of professional training at the Mauritius Institute of Education in our career whether be it in the prepimary, primary or secondary sector. Me myself during my 17 years of teaching I had to undergo a Teacher's Diploma, a Bachelor in Education and now am doing my Masters in Educational Technology. though it is not costy as a professional doctor but we are continuously being trained. If someone take teaching as a professsion he must be willing to go through a period of preparation and a continuing professional development.

 

b) Why did I join the vocation or related profession

 

  • Teaching is a very noble profession.

  • Teaching is my passion. It gives me the deepest sort of satisfaction.

  • I choose to teach so as to earn a living .

  • I love being among students.

  • So as to interact with students, other teachers and community members regularly.

  • Teaching gives me the opportunity to share my passion and expertise with others.

  • to be always up to date with new words , new teaching strategies and to learn new things.

  • Another reason is that my schedule matches up with my children's school schedule. , I am at home with my children in the afternoons and also will be able to spend school vacation home with my children

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment